click here to go to Buckaroo Hall of Fame HOMEPAGE

Clyde Reborse
Clyde Reborse
Clyde Reborse, C S Ranch, Nevada, 1940's

Clyde Reborse (1921-....)

Born in 1921 on the Owyhee Desert in northeastern Nevada. He lived on the desert for twenty three years. At the age of seven his dad Powder River Lee Reborse, took Clyde with him to rep on the SL wagon for the summer roundup. At the age of 12 his dad started him out breaking horses. Powder taught him the knack of being a fine horse reinsman of that day and age Clyde states often how he was lucky to have a dad, who was a fine reinsman and horseman.

In 1935, when he was fourteen, Clyde left with his dad's TH cattle in the early spring to Devil's Corral on the Owyhee Desert, where his father had grazing rights. He stayed for two months, watching the cattle, all open range, riding horseback to keep them from drifting too far away. In June of that year the cattle were gathered and trailed back to the mountains where they would spend the summer. His dad would send him to represent him (rep) on the SL wagon and gathering the cattle that had been missed by the previous roundup. He would get back in time to help his dad put up the hay, which was to be fed to the cattle in the winter. In September of each year Clyde would head back out with the SL wagon, riding with them for about two months. Then he would leave there and go over to the Ellison Pitch Fork wagon at Squaw Valley, NV. Jim Kimber was the cow boss there at that time. A real gentleman, he would remark to Clyde," I' m gonna ride ol' Roany today, young Powder". Clyde had fond memories of his time spent there. In late November he would leave the Pitch Fork wagon with his string of saddle horses and the cattle that had strayed and return to the TH Ranch. He was sixteen then and the trail drive took about five days.

In 1944 his dad sold the TH Ranch and he left the Owyhee Desert, never to return to work there. From then on Clyde drifted a lot, working for several different irons/brands. In 1946 he became the buckaroo boss for the Bullhead Land and Cattle Company at the CS Ranch, near Winnemucca, Nev. on the Humboldt River.

In 1947, he worked for Marvin Myers running wild horses, gathering them with a fixed wing Piper Cub aircraft. They would run them into a parada( a herd of gentle horses) on the Sheldon Refuge. In 1948, Ernie Messner was manager of the MC Warner Valley Land and Cattle Company, Adel, Oregon. At that time the cattle there numbered over 18,000 head. Ernie wrote Clyde a letter and asked him to come and run the MC roundup wagon. In the meantime he'd hired Ross Dollarhide, who was and old Miller & Lux outfit cowboy, an outstanding bronc rider in his time. Even at 62 years of age, this great man could ride any horse on any day.

Ernie Messner asked Clyde to start some young horses and in these cavvys( groups of saddle horses) there would be some old cranky geldings. So, if you could show you could ride them, then they would be the ones that you were given to ride. Those were the kinds of horse that Clyde would ride.

In 1953, he went to work for Frank Loveland, who was the manager for McCleary Ranches in Paradise Valley, NV. According to Clyde, Frank was a heck of a good rider, reinsman and all around cowboy. McCleary ran around 20,000 head of cattle. Lyn Kimbell was the cow boss on the desert end and Clyde was cow boss on the Paradise Valley end. He worked there for about five years.

Then after leaving McCleary's he drifted into California and worked for Earl Pressnell, buying cattle in Nevada and shipping them to holdings in CA. While working for Earl, Bing Crosby, who he'd known for some time and had a ranch near his dad's TH Ranch in the valley where he was raised. Earl sent Clyde up to look at the PX ranch which was being sold by Crosby, located on the head of the No. Fork of the Humboldt River. Crosby wanted Clyde to go into western feature films, he had three agents he wanted him to see. Clyde chose not to take Bing Crosby's offer. Pressnell bought the PX and put Clyde in charge of the ranches. He ran the outfit for three years. He got his leg broken while riding a rank horse, he was in the corral until he and his bronco hit the corral gate swinging it open taking off with him on the icy ground. The horse bucked until he fell, breaking Clydes leg on impact, it was a compound fracture and long time healing.

After he'd punched cows in Nevada, Idaho, Oregon and California, he felt the need to have a place of his own. In 1963, the cattle industry in Australia was booming. He and his wife, along with his brother Lee and family, bought a ranch in Australia now called the Finniss River Station. Then he mustered spoiled cattle for the Herbert Brothers at the Koolpinya and Humpty Doo Stations. He did that for six years. His crew were aboriginal stockmen. In 1972, his brother Lee sold the Finniss River Station. This turned out to be a bad deal from the beginning. The buyer went bankrupt and ended up forcing Clyde to take the station back, where he'd stay until 1981 when it was sold.

In 1978, Clyde held a class in western reining. Shane Izod of Australia was eager to learn the methods used by the Spanish vaquero, which was taught to Clyde by his dad Powder. Through his years working on the different cow outfits in eastern Oregon and Nevada, Clyde earned a reputation of being one of the best riders of his time. He never had a horse that bucked him off that he couldn't get back on and ride. Clyde said it would be a lifelong accomplishment to be inducted into the Buckaroo Hall of Fame. Clyde was still living in Australia at the time of this writing.

Clyde Reborse was inducted into the Buckaroo Hall of Fame in September 2006.